10/2/07

The lepper saddle


The bike came with a leather Lepper Concorde saddle as an option (around extra 35 euros). I choose it because was aesthetically appropriated to the bicycle, and because I had heard leather saddles were more confortable in the long run.


The first weeks were a real pain in the ass (literally!), but after some time leather began to soften. In fact, I tried to accelerate the process by spreading some hand cream at the bottom side of the leather, and I think it worked. When it broke in definitely it became a real pleasure to ride.


Despite its inherent confort, I ended up substituting the Lepper saddle because the lateral edge of the leather was rather sharp and it wore out some of my trousers (even, making a hole to one of them!). I tried to smooth this edge but I didn't want to try any longer. Also, a leather saddle needs to be covered with a bag if rain is expected, and this is cumbersome (in Spain, it may rain without much warning).


Still, I'm not entirely dissatisfied with the saddle, and I may mount it again if I do some cycle touring.

No hay comentarios: